There is a widely held belief that sustainable development (SD) policies are essential for universities to successfully engage in matters related to sustainability, and are an indicator of the extent to which they are active in this field. This paper aims to examine the evidence which currently exists to support this assumption. It surveys a sample of universities in Brazil, Germany, Greece, Portugal, South Africa and the UK and the USA to ascertain the extent to which universities that are active in the field of sustainable development have formal policies on sustainable development, and whether such policies are a pre-condition for successful sustainability efforts.
The study involved 35 universities in seven countries (five universities respectively). A mixed-methods approach has been used, ranging from document analysis, website analysis, questionnaires and interviewing.
Although only 60 per cent of the sampled universities had a policy that specifically addressed SD, this cannot be regarded as an indicator that the remaining 40 per cent are not engaged with substantial actions that address SD. Indeed, all of the universities in the sample, regardless of the existence of a SD formal policy, demonstrated engagement with environmental sustainability policies or procedures in some form or another. This research has been limited by the availability and ability to procure information from the sampled universities. Despite this, it is one of the largest research efforts of this kind ever performed.
This research has been limited by the availability and ability to procure information from the sampled universities.
The findings provide some valuable insights into the connections between SD policies on the one hand and the practice of sustainable development in higher education institutions on the other.
Universities with SD policies can contribute to models of economic growth consistent with sustainable development.
The study is the one of the largest research efforts of this kind ever performed.
Leal Filho, W., Brandli, L.L., Becker, D., Skanavis, C., Kounani, A., Sardi, C., Papaioannidou, D., Paço, A., Azeiteiro, U., de Sousa, L.O., Raath, S., Pretorius, R.W., Shiel, C., Vargas, V., Trencher, G. and Marans, R.W. (2018), "Sustainable development policies as indicators and pre-conditions for sustainability efforts at universities: Fact or fiction?", International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, Vol. 19 No. 1, pp. 85-113. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSHE-01-2017-0002Download as .RIS
Emerald Publishing Limited
Copyright © 2018, Emerald Publishing Limited