THE Piaggio Company has long been known for the design of unconventional aeroplanes; unconventional, that is, in the sense that they have broken with the general practice of the day. Their first post‐war type, the P‐136 five‐seater twin‐engined amphibian flying‐boat, is no exception. The prototype was generally considered to be one of the most interesting aeroplanes exhibited at the 1949 Salon de l'Acronautique. A second prototype was completed for demonstration purposes and, although civil sales were limited to a single example bought by King Farouk, the Italian Air Force adopted the P‐136 as a seaplane trainer and a first series of fifteen was recently completed for them at the company's main aircraft works at Finale Ligure. Piaggio &.C., although well‐known as an aircraft and aero‐engine constructor, is primarily an industrial firm making many different products, including railway coaches and the familiar Vespa light motor cycle.
Hay Stevens, J. (1952), "Limited Production of a Light Amphibian: A Description of the Methods Adopted by Piaggio & C. to Manufacture the P‐136 Twin‐Engined Trainer", Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 24 No. 4, pp. 107-111. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb032149
MCB UP Ltd
Copyright © 1952, MCB UP Limited