In the period between the two wars, Oxford and Cambridge and most of our provincial universities and colleges have either built new libraries or large additions to existing ones. But the library of Birmingham University has remained—as has the university itself—in two sections which are 2½ miles apart. The main library, including the books of the Faculty of Arts, remain in the Edmund Street building (of 1880) in the City Centre, and are housed in a number of classrooms. The science and commerce books are at Edgbaston, and in premises which, when built in the first decade of this century, were quite inadequate both in design and in the accommodation provided.
CitationDownload as .RIS
MCB UP Ltd
Copyright © 1946, MCB UP Limited