A major goal of Vision 2030, the kingdom’s strategic development framework, is to address persistently high levels of unemployment, especially amongst young people. Although recent data suggest that the programme has made progress, youth unemployment remains a challenge.
- Increased opportunities for young Saudis may persuade them that the Crown Prince represents their best hope for the future.
- The Public Investment Fund will invest in major projects, creating new jobs.
- The increasing number of women entering the workforce will make social changes difficult to reverse.
- Saudi men will find it increasingly difficult to compete in the job market because female graduates far outnumber their male counterparts.
- Success in lowering unemployment will lead to further internal migration away from the provinces to the capital Riyadh.