The HISTORY OF THE VACUUM OIL COMPANY'S OIL BLENDING AND GREASE PLANT AT BIRKENHEAD has been one of construction, development and disaster. A warehouse was established there in 1902 and this was burned down in 1910 when a new works was built. This new works included a grease plant and blending facilities and it was extensively developed until by 1939 it was one of the largest and most important blending units of its kind in Europe. But, two years later, nearly all its buildings and manufacturing equipment were destroyed or damaged by enemy action. Work, however, proceeded immediately, since it was then that lubricants were so essential to the country's war needs, and a temporary plant was erected.
MCB UP Ltd
Copyright © 1955, MCB UP Limited