FOUNDATION THE Francis Mond Professorship of Aeronautical Engineering was established at Cambridge University in 1919 and was certainly the first chair in aeronautical engineering in this country. The initial holder of this Chair was B. M. Jones (now Sir B. Mclvill Jones), who had worked at the R.A.E. and other establishments during the First World War. Professor Melvill Jones, on arriving at Cambridge, found that in fact the University was not able to finance his research or supply him with laboratory space and had to rely upon the Air Ministry for funds and apparatus. This resulted in the main research activity of the department being directed towards flight experiments using R.A.F. aircraft flying from Duxford. Due to their interest in aeronautics, however, the Engineering Laboratory at Cambridge did supply Professor Melvill Jones with space, and in 1921 an optional paper was set in Aeronautics in the Mechanical Sciences Tripos.
Maull, D. and ), B. (1962), "University of Cambridge: The Fourth in a Series of Articles Describing the Facilities, Academic Curricula and Research Facilities in the Aeronautical Engineering Departments of the British Universities", Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 34 No. 4, pp. 102-103. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb033544Download as .RIS
MCB UP Ltd
Copyright © 1962, MCB UP Limited