THE rules for the 1935 Deutsch de la Meurthe Cup Race remained almost identical with those of 1933 and 1934. Briefly, the contest was open to all types of land “aerodynes”; the only limitation being that the total capacity of the engine (or engines) remained under 8 litres (488·20 cu. in.). In other directions, designers were left with an absolutely free hand—the usual Certificate of Airworthiness even being dispensed with. To avoid the participation of machines of doubtful characteristics, each competitor had to qualify between April 2 and May 2 by passing successfully the following tests: a flight of 500 km. (311 miles) in a closed circuit at a speed exceeding 300 k.p.h. (186·5 m.p.h.)—against 250 k.p.h. (155·5 m.p.h.) last year. In addition, take‐off and landing had to be performed in less than 500 metres (1,640 ft.) over a “screen” 1 metre (3·28 ft.) high—against 550 metres (1,801 ft.) last year. Actually, the “screen” took the form of two parallel ropes set at the required height and separated by an interval of 50 metres (164 ft.), so as to ensure correct execution of the test. The wind velocity had to be under 6 metres per second (19·7 f.p.s.) during the take‐off and landing tests.
de Marolles, R.J. (1935), "The Third Deutsch Cup: The Race Described, with Full Details of the Caudron Entrants and Renault Engine", Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 7 No. 6, pp. 139-152. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb029939Download as .RIS
MCB UP Ltd
Copyright © 1935, MCB UP Limited