The Contribution of the Tin Research Institute
Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials
Article publication date: 1 October 1954
The Tin Research Institute at Greenford, Middlesex, provides the headquarters and laboratories for a worldwide organisation controlled by the International Tin Research Council. This Council consists of delegates appointed to represent the tin mining industry in the Belgian Congo, Bolivia, Indo‐China, Indonesia, Malaya and Nigeria; it has as its objects the provision of technical service to users of tin and the development of new applications for the metal. Since many of the uses of tin depend on the resistance to corrosion of tin and tin alloys and on the protection which coatings of these materials can give to other metals, a large part of the Institute's effort has a direct or indirect relation to prevention of corrosion. The contributions in this field of the laboratories dealing with hot‐tinning, tinplate and electrodeposition are fully as important to the user of tin‐containing protective coatings as those of the laboratory devoted to the study of corrosion; on them depends the responsibility for the development of new coating processes and also for the guidance necessary to ensure that the coatings produced in industry have the quality necessary for the full realisation of their potential protective value.
Britton, S.C. (1954), "The Contribution of the Tin Research Institute", Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials, Vol. 1 No. 10, pp. 372-375. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb018993
MCB UP Ltd
Copyright © 1954, MCB UP Limited