The cathodic protection of ships against corrosion has a long history, for it was first applied in 1824 by Sir Humphry Davy for the protection of the copper sheathed hulls of British warships. Here the author describes the modern art of cathodic protection which can be used at every stage of a ship's life from the fitting‐out period onwards. Besides its main use for the protection of hulls, the method is applicable to propellors, stern gear, cargo compartments, etc., and it can result in very considerable savings in repair costs. The author also discusses the cathodic protection of other marine structures such as floating docks, mooring buoys, etc.
CitationDownload as .RIS
MCB UP Ltd
Copyright © 1954, MCB UP Limited