The use of the glass syringe as an instrument in school chemistry for the measuring of gases was first developed by Dr Schmit in Hamburg as long ago as 1931. Its use has spread very slowly through Europe and the author himself only came across the syringe during a tour of Europe in 1963, sponsored by the Nuffield Foundation. The 100ml glass syringe consists essentially of a precision ground barrel and a plunger which is so well made that it is gas‐tight at atmospheric pressure even without the use of a lubricant. With a light grease, such as Vaseline, the syringe is gas‐tight even under comparatively heavy pressures.
CitationDownload as .RIS
MCB UP Ltd
Copyright © 1965, MCB UP Limited