THE Public Libraries Acts were adopted by the Surrey County Council in July, 1924, the county librarian took up office in June, 1925, and the first books were issued in December of that year. The library has therefore been functioning for exactly three years, and from zero has in that time achieved a stock of roughly 60,000 books, 25,000 borrowers, a headquarters staff of five, one hundred and thirty seven branches and a motor van. During the last complete year (which ended nine months ago, so the figures cannot be up to date) a total of 282,131 book loans was reached, representing an increase of 163,846 issues over the previous twelve months, or more than double. In fact, during that year the growth of the library as a whole, in book stock and in population served, as well as in issues made, was more than double the previous year's achievement. It has already by thousands a larger stock of books than any other library in Surrey, though the ratio of books to population in the county area is only as yet about one book to every ten people. This proportion, equivalent to ten per cent., looks very meagre when compared with the Departmental Committee's statement “that no library should be satisfied with a stock which represents less than 30 volumes per 100 of population.” On the basis of this figure a stock of 168,000 books would be required to serve the Surrey County Library area.
CitationDownload as .RIS
MCB UP Ltd
Copyright © 1929, MCB UP Limited