To read the full version of this content please select one of the options below:

The Library World Volume 69 Issue 12

New Library World

ISSN: 0307-4803

Article publication date: 1 June 1968

Abstract

ALTHOUGH the first Public Libraries (Scotland) Act was placed on the Statute Book in 1853, it was not until 1899 that the Corporation of the City of Glasgow was empowered to establish and maintain public libraries throughout the city. Between 1876 and 1897 four attempts were made to secure public approval for the adoption of the Public Libraries (Scotland) Acts, but when all these efforts proved unsuccessful, the Corporation decided in June, 1888 to include in a Local Bill for submission to Parliament, certain clauses conferring upon themselves the power to become a library authority. Promoted in 1899, the Bill became known as the Glasgow Corporation (Tramways, Libraries, etc.) Act 1899, and the library clauses passed through Parliament without opposition and received Royal Assent on 1st August, 1899. The powers conferred by this Local Act empowered the Corporation:

Citation

(1968), "The Library World Volume 69 Issue 12", New Library World, Vol. 69 No. 12, pp. 305-342. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb009531

Publisher

:

MCB UP Ltd

Copyright © 1968, MCB UP Limited