Accommodating the disabled: new regulations

Facilities

ISSN: 0263-2772

Publication date: 1 October 1986

Abstract

The built environment often appears to have been designed, unconsciously, around a stereotyped user who is between 18 and 40, male, of average height and weight, fit, right‐handed: in other words, for about 20 per cent of the population. The other 80 per cent — women, children, elderly people, those who are unusually tall or short, or left‐handed — have all tended to be limited to some degree by this approach.

Citation

Smart, C. (1986), "Accommodating the disabled: new regulations", Facilities, Vol. 4 No. 10, pp. 14-14. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb006379

Download as .RIS

Publisher

:

MCB UP Ltd

Copyright © 1986, MCB UP Limited

Please note you might not have access to this content

You may be able to access this content by login via Shibboleth, Open Athens or with your Emerald account.
If you would like to contact us about accessing this content, click the button and fill out the form.
To rent this content from Deepdyve, please click the button.