- The purpose of this article is to review the 2012 editions of two political reference handbooks judged influential as current reference sources for the study of politics and politically related topics.
- The coverage, organization of information, and the ease of use and understanding of information presented in the political reference handbooks is examined and comparatively reviewed.
- These two political reference handbook titles have many similarities, but also differences. The Almanac of American Politics contains more detailed information but utilizes a more complicated approach in the analysis, classification, and ranking of votes. Politics in America does not provide in-depth information, but its approach in the analysis, classification, and ranking of votes is simple, straightforward, and easy to understand.
- While online versions of these resources are available, this review concerns solely the print editions.
- This paper provides a comparative overview and analysis of two important political reference handbooks which will be of value to information professionals and others seeking to perform reference in the area of politics and political science.
Gould, G. (2014), "Navigating the political waters: a comparative review of two influential political reference resources", Reference Reviews, Vol. 28 No. 3, pp. 2-5. https://doi.org/10.1108/RR-11-2013-0284Download as .RIS
Emerald Group Publishing Limited
Copyright © 2014, Emerald Group Publishing Limited