Friday, September 17, 2021
He was greeted with a ‘sit at home’ protest by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB). Although crowds appeared at some events, the protest appears to have been a success, illustrating the increasing support garnered by the Igbo separatist movement in the region. To this can be added growing Yoruba separatist sentiment in south-western Nigeria following continued farmer-herder conflicts and state repression.
- Kanu and Igboho’s continued incarceration will further inflame anti-government sentiment.
- Buhari’s government will make few, if any, concessions to separatist sentiment.
- The cycle of sporadic protest and violence followed by violent government crackdowns will continue.
- Separatist sentiment will be strengthened by continuing farmer-herder conflict at the national level.
- Buhari’s harsh response to separatist threats will threaten the ruling All Progressives Congress party’s chances in the 2023 election.