Thursday, June 17, 2021
Seoul now has full ‘missile sovereignty’.
- North Korea is yet to react, but may do so with a missile launch.
- Seoul already has all of North Korea within range and no limits on missile payload; longer-range missiles would be for targets elsewhere.
- Seoul’s plans to build an aircraft carrier also indicate 'middle-power' ambitions to be able to project force well beyond the peninsula.
- After the end of the US-Russian ban on intermediate-range missiles, Moscow will be unhappy if a near neighbour and US ally develops them.
- Greater capabilities will make Seoul a more useful ally for Washington against Beijing, which may come to see Seoul as an increasing threat.
Stay up to date
Sign up to the Expert Daily Briefings email alert and receive up-to-the-minute analysis of global events as they happen.