Thursday, June 17, 2021
Seoul now has full ‘missile sovereignty’.
- North Korea is yet to react, but may do so with a missile launch.
- Seoul already has all of North Korea within range and no limits on missile payload; longer-range missiles would be for targets elsewhere.
- Seoul’s plans to build an aircraft carrier also indicate 'middle-power' ambitions to be able to project force well beyond the peninsula.
- After the end of the US-Russian ban on intermediate-range missiles, Moscow will be unhappy if a near neighbour and US ally develops them.
- Greater capabilities will make Seoul a more useful ally for Washington against Beijing, which may come to see Seoul as an increasing threat.