Thursday, July 13, 2017
The ideology emphasises social and cultural diversity, unity and tolerance. The move follows recent controversies over the experience of social minorities in Indonesia, which have implications for the government and for business.
- Minority rights controversies could cause Jakarta diplomatic trouble, particularly in relations with the EU.
- Muslim and Arab tourism is unlikely to be affected by morality raids; LGBT tourism could be.
- Indonesia's security crackdown on Islamic State will not affect Islamist socio-religious activists.
- Activists' pressure will see local governments enforcing laws inconsistently across jurisdictions, possibly affecting business.
- Islamist parties' relative weakness in national and local elections will continue; most voters will not support them.