CitationDownload as .RIS
Emerald Publishing Limited
Copyright © 2017 Emerald Publishing Limited
With a growing number of companies investing in socially and environmentally sustainable practices, corporate citizenship has grown and diversified exponentially over its relatively short history. An overwhelming number of new terms and acronyms have become part of the lexicon of doing good. The following glossary gives you a quick reference guide for some of the more commonly used terms and acronyms.
Let’s start with what you may call your program. Here are some of the most commonly used terms:
Corporate Social Responsibility
Environmental, Social, and Governance
Try to resist the temptation to debate what your program should be called; the semantics are less important than the fact you have a program with clearly defined goals and objectives. Pick the terms that most connect to your company’s culture and intention, and then move ahead. We all know what you mean.
You need to know what the terms in this glossary mean, but they’re not the most important place to focus for effective programs. Don’t get distracted by the plethora of standards, frameworks, initiatives, and organizations. At the heart of your great corporate citizenship program are the issues most material to your company’s business strategy and purpose. One or more of the concepts and organizations described in the glossary may be helpful to your efforts. If they are, by all means, avail yourself of their resources, but be selective.
- Section 1: Laying the Foundation and Creating Your Basic Tools
- 1 Connecting Corporate Citizenship to Business Purpose
- 2 Creating Advantage in Your Marketplace
- 3 Of the People, for the People, by the People
- 4 Connecting Corporate Citizenship to Business Strategy
- 5 How to Set Up and Organize Your Corporate Citizenship Program
- Section II: Getting Results Across Your Business
- 6 The Importance of Your Supply Chain and Procurement Function
- 7 Creating a More Sustainable Operation
- 8 Defining and Managing Your Corporate Giving Program
- Section III: Pulling it all Together
- 9 If a Sustainably Harvested Tree Falls in the Forest and There Is No One There to Hear It … Getting Your Message Across
- 10 Building On Your Success
- List of Key Terms
- Corporate Citizenship Glossary