In 1870, after a decade of vigorous public debate over the economic importance of technical and scientific learning for the colony’s development, the Industrial and Technological Museum was established in the city of Melbourne ‘as a means of public instruction’ for the people of Victoria. Founded in February 1870 and officially opened on 8 September 1870, the new public museum occupied the building erected at the rear of the Public Library for the 1866 International Exhibition. The Industrial and Technological Museum, later the Science Museum and now part of Museum Victoria, was directed by J. Cosmo Newbery and managed by a sectional committee of the Public Library, Museums, and National Gallery of Victoria Trust, which Parliament had incorporated and enlarged in December 1869.
Fennessy, K.M. (2005), "‘Making difficult things plain’: Learning at the Industrial and Technological Museum, Melbourne, 1870‐1880", History of Education Review, Vol. 34 No. 2, pp. 59-77. https://doi.org/10.1108/08198691200500010Download as .RIS
Emerald Group Publishing Limited
Copyright © 2005, Emerald Group Publishing Limited