Adoption of web site and e‐commerce technology among Malaysian public companies

Khairul Akmaliah Adham (Faculty of Economics and Business, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia)
Maisarah Ahmad (Faculty of Economics and Business, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia)

Industrial Management & Data Systems

ISSN: 0263-5577

Publication date: 1 December 2005

Abstract

Purpose

This study examines the adoption rates of web site and e‐commerce technology by all 562 Malaysian public listed companies, as of March 2004, testing the proposition that the number having web sites would approach 100 percent, and that most companies serving end customers would also have e‐commerce systems.

Design/methodology/approach

After identifying and testing company URLs for operability, contents of all operable sites were evaluated to determine whether they had incorporated e‐commerce systems for online transactions.

Findings

Of the 562 companies, only 62 percent (351) were found to have operable web sites; and of 351, 96 percent (336) were solely informational, leaving only 4 percent (15) that were equipped for e‐commerce transactions.

Research limitations/implications

Further research is needed on reasons and consequences for not adopting web site and e‐commerce technology, and on specific business contexts surrounding adoption decisions and related managerial challenges.

Practical implications

Analysis of findings and research literature strongly suggest that having a web site would give any public listed company a major advantage in the marketplace. The most effective web site implementation appears to require aligning new technology with company's strategic planning, integrating it into existing operations, using it to exploit new business opportunities and considering customer behavior theory when designing and implementing the web site interface.

Originality/value

As the first study to examine adoption of web site and e‐commerce technology by all currently existing Malaysian public listed companies, this provides a benchmark for further research on the subject.

Keywords

Citation

Akmaliah Adham, K. and Ahmad, M. (2005), "Adoption of web site and e‐commerce technology among Malaysian public companies", Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 105 No. 9, pp. 1172-1187. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570510633248

Download as .RIS

Publisher

:

Emerald Group Publishing Limited

Copyright © 2005, Emerald Group Publishing Limited

Please note you might not have access to this content

You may be able to access this content by login via Shibboleth, Open Athens or with your Emerald account.
If you would like to contact us about accessing this content, click the button and fill out the form.
To rent this content from Deepdyve, please click the button.